I decided to sew along with a series while it’s actually still going on. That’s what I call progress… It’s titled Shorts on the Line (although I tend to sing the title to the tune of Pants on the Ground) and is hosted by Imagine Gnats and Small and Friendly. Such a fun series, and while I meant to take the opportunity to sew something for my boy, he (once again) got put on the back burner.
My smallest girl is short on pajamas for summer, so I thought I’d try to draft a pair for her. I mean, how many tutorials are out there going ‘first, trace a pair of well fitting shorts/pants/shirts…’ I have to tell you, though, I really hate this step and a will be remedying it as soon as I can decide on which pants/shorts pattern to add to my stash. (recommendations, anyone?)
I used an old pillowcase to make both the shorts and a top for a little pajama ensemble. I drafted each piece, and the whole process felt a little bit like I was a kid playing with construction paper, glue, and a stapler. I just wanted to see if I could do it…there was no planning or careful execution. I barely pinned and didn’t iron, all rebel-without-a-cause style.
The material for the shorts was pretty heavy for the shorts, not like your typical pillow case. I drafted them using a pattern a size up because I wanted a bloomer effect, but they actually fit pretty snug since there isn’t much of a difference between a 2T diapered bum and a slim cut size 4. I used the existing hem on the pillowcase (love these re-fashioning shortcuts), and just sewed some elastic on the inside to cinch them in a bit. I wish I had documented the process, but I did this during naptime and that always lends a bit of ‘racing the clock’ rush to my projects.
The top is pretty much a pillow-case-dress-esque type of thing. I used eyelet for the straps, and I am in love with them. I mean, look how sweet…
Sweet dreams baby girl!